Unfortunately, some of these meals contain foods that are potentially poisonous for your pooch! Before letting your dog lick the bowl, make sure you are aware of some of these sneaky ingredients.
We all know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but starting with Halloween, small wrapped candies make an appearance in bowls all over the house. Be sure that any treat bowls left out are out of Fido’s reach.
Know your chocolate
Different types of chocolate can contain higher levels of methylxanthines (specifically caffeine and theobromine) which are poisonous to your dog. 8 oz of milk chocolate will sicken a 50lb dog, where only 1 oz of baker’s chocolate could be a fatal dose!
Check out this weight vs. toxicity Chocolate Poisoning Calculator for more info.
Whether in a pumpkin pie or added to peanut butter cookies, Nutmeg can be poisonous to dogs! Small amounts found in one cookie may not cause much more than indigestion, however, this holiday spice is known for causing psychoactive effects in humans when taken in large doses, and your dog has a far lower tolerance. Consumption of nutmeg can lead to vomiting, seizures and convulsions, dehydration, and general body pain.
While we know this is a (human) adult beverage, giving your dog a sip of holiday cheer can have serious consequences. Hops are poisonous to dogs, and being far smaller than we are, your dog is very susceptible to alcohol poisoning. Similar alcohol poisoning effects are experienced by dogs as are with humans, including respiratory issues, vomiting, seizures, coma, and can be fatal.
Raisins, Onions & Garlic
That turkey stuffing may look harmless (to everything but your waistline) but is actually full of ingredients that are poisonous to your dog. Raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs, and all types of onions, shallots, scallions, and garlic contain compounds that can damage your dog’s red blood cells and pose a very serious threat from lack of oxygen. The effects may not appear for up to 5 days, but you might notice symptoms of extreme fatigue or orange/red tinged urine. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these, try to asses how much your pooch consumed and contact your vet.
While your dog make wag himself silly at the prospect of getting a juicy bone straight from the serving plate, it is inadvisable to let them participate in breaking the wishbone. Smaller bones found in turkey, chicken, and even a bone-in ham can splinter and cause your dog to choke, or cause an obstruction. It’s best to let them celebrate with approved treats, such as dog biscuits or a small piece of meat.
Peanut Butter is a fan favorite for dogs of all breeds. While they may go nutty for a kong full of peanut butter, nut assortments can also pose a threat to your dog. Large nuts can cause obstructions, while macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts are poisonous if consumed by your dog.
In an Emergency
If you think your dog has consumed something poisonous, please call your vet. If it is after hours, All City Pet Care South has a 24 hour emergency clinic where you can call 215-0732 with questions or take your dog in for emergency care.